Written by the developer of Berklee School of Music’s pioneering game scoring program, this guide covers everything professional composers and music students need to know about composing interactive music for video games, and contains exclusive tools for interactive scoring—tools that were previously available only at Berklee.
Drawing on twenty years of professional experience in the game industry, Michael Sweet helps you master the unique language of music storytelling in games. Next, he walks you through the entire music composition process, from initial conceptualization and creative direction through implementation.
Inside, you’ll find dozens of examples that illustrate adaptive compositional techniques, from small downloadable games to multimillion dollar console titles. In addition, this guide covers the business side of video game composition, sharing crucial advice about contracts, pricing, sales, and marketing.
- Overcoming the unique challenges of writing for games
- Composing music that can adapt in real time to player actions
- Developing thematic ideas
- Using audio middleware to create advanced interactive scores
- Working effectively with game development teams
- Understanding the life of a video game composer
- Managing contracts, rights, estimating, and negotiation
- Finding work